1 Royston Road, 'Fountain Cottage'
Fountain Cottage was built after 1800 on land that had previously been part of the Green before Inclosure. This, like other newer C19 buildings, were built much nearer Royston Rd/Station Rd. Originally there were several cottages, later converted to one. Because of this, the frontage and back have changed a little due to renovation, as shown in the photos.
The name may have derived from the artesian water source provided by a pump on the Memorial Green or it may possibly have had a well behind the property as an OS 1901 map indicates.