History of Sheepshead Lane

From a declaration by Winifred Smith, who owned The Laurels, 119 High Street from 1935 to 1988 (she was trying to claim the right to use Sheepshead Row):¬†“since the latter part of the last century (ie 19th century) this lane was used by the general public for access to a small group of cottages located to the west of 119 High Street” These cottages seem to have been demolished in the 1950s.

Access was also required by the villagers to the well which still exists in the garden of what is now No 7 Sheepshead Lane¬†with water about 2 foot below ground level. An extract from the Conveyance of the cottage from Lance Northrop to Christopher Gatward includes the words “together with the right in common with others having the like right to use and take water from the well situate on the land now or late of the said Arthur Hurrell”

Originally another lane was located some 30 feet to the north of and approximately parallel to Sheepshead Lane and provided access to a playing field and pavilion. This building was then converted into a house and was known as The Pavilion, High Street. This site is now occupied by Kerrymead, now No 2 Sheepshead Lane, formerly 125 High Street

This page was added on 15/11/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *