No 1, The Old Bakehouse
Listed as a Grade 2 building by English Heritage, The Old Bakehouse is described as a cottage of late 16th or early 17th century origin, much altered in 19th century.
It is timber framed and plaster, but the framing has been replaced with brick in parts. The steeply pitched roof, originally thatched, is now with buff pantiles and a small C19 gault brick ridge stack.
The fenestration is 19th or 20th century including a hung sash of four panes.
In 1844, November 16, the Cambridge Independent Press and Cambridge Chronicle & Journal advertised:
Auction, by Cockett & Nash at the Swan Inn on 22 Nov at 5 pm: Dwellinghouse with shop, bakehouse and outbuildings, orchard + 2 gardens at The Cross, Harston. By order of the proprietor, Mr Smith of Cambridge; immediate possession. Particulars etc: Cambridge & Royston.
In 1855 the cottage was used to teach village children by two Irish women prior to the building of the school & school house almost directly across the road
In 1893 it was one of 16 property lots up for auction when the ‘Harston Estate’ of William Long was sold. It was described as a ‘Highly valuable freehold property comprising dwelling house and shop, containing 4 bedrooms, kitchen, sitting room, shop & storeroom & bakehouse with outbuildings, comprising boarded, lath & plaster & thatched shed, boarded & tiled piggery & W C with yard etc comprising 33 poles (more or less). The property is well situated for trade in a corner position at the junction of the Haslingfield & Royston Roads & is in the occupation of Mr Ashby, a yearly tenant, at £14 a year. The tenant claims the oven & certain fixtures’. From 1861 to his death in 1905, Josiah is recorded in Kelly’s directory as having the bakery and grocer’s shop in Church Street.
In Kelly’s Directory for 1929 Percy James Harrison is listed as a grocer & baker and in 1948 he built a new bakehouse beside the cottage but nearer to Church Street than the original bakehouse.