No 2 Haslingfield Road
Originally part of a large estate
Early deeds show that until 1804 the Riversdale Cottages (No 2 & 4) and land they stood on belonged to the estate of Edward Green and was possibly the name of the farm upon whose land it stood. When he died in 1804 it went to his son Edward Humphreys Green (in 1850 renamed Edward Humphreys Greene De Freville). In 1868 he died; then in 1885 his wife died leaving their estate to his cousin Charles’s eldest son Edward Henry Green.
In Nov 1886 John Ives bought the land with the cottages and when he died in 1891 it went to his wife, children, then grandchildren. With the death of Fanny J Ives (widow of C.J. Ives) in Nov 1924 the 2 acres of land and Riversdale Cottages occupied by Jude & Chapman were sold at auction in Nov 1925. They were sold to Mr Robert Tuck (of Leagrove Cottage, Gt Shelford) for £300 free of incumbrances.
It was originally thought that the present cottages fronting Haslingfield Road were built between 1870 and 1873. However, the 1885/6 OS map has the two Riversdale Cottages facing Button End but the 1901 OS map has two cottages facing Haslingfield Rd. It may be that they were rebuilt after the Nov 1886 Ives sale.
In Dec 1928 both cottages were sold to the existing occupiers, No 2 by Claude Chapman who had occupied the house since the early 1900s. In 1939 the occupants were Jack and Elsie Bird. Elsie was the daughter of Claude & Beatrice Chapman Around 1950 Claude and Beatrice found No 43 High Street was too big to look after and returned to No 2. In 1970s, John and Bertha Segrave were the occupants.