Water Point, Haslingfield Road
Before Harston’s piped water supply, people relied on water from artesian wells. Those who could afford it, sank wells on their property; those who couldn’t relied on supplies from publicly or privately funded monies. Sr William Graham Greene funded several including this one on the wall of what was at the time, the Vicarage and is now Rhee House, a private residence.
The provision of this supply is mention twice in the diary of Percy Ward, the vicar:
2 July 1927 Sir Graham Greene called to talk about a pipe from the fountain to the wall for cottages nearby. Clem Jude was there to give an estimate.
11 Dec 1927 Blessed the fountain on the outside wall. Helen Greene spoke & distributed 18 keys to those who may use it. This was given by the 3 sisters Helen, Mary & Mrs Phillips in memory of Alice Greene
The Chesterton Rural District Council Heath Report of 1927 stated ‘At Harston Sir Graham Greene has very kindly offered to provide a further standpipe from an artesian boring at the corner of Haslingfield Rd and to improve the existing supply at Button End;..