War Memorial Green
The green was undoubtedly part of a much larger green and for many years was the source of water for the houses in this part of the village
The war memorial was erected in 1920 and designed by Sir William Graham Greene, built by Clement Jude. The masons were Messrs Rattee and Kett Ltd. It was dedicated on 4 April 1920 in a service held on the green by Canon Baldwin, attended by most of the village.
The memorial is unusual for two reasons. Firstly, the date the monument was erected is specified and secondly the exact dates of the start and end of the war are given.
The memorial has been recorded as a Listed Building by English Heritage. They describe it as a ‘ free-standing memorial within a small, informal rose garden. Comprises tapering, chamfered shaft on a square plinth, surmounting a stepped base. Undecorated cross above with carved wreath. Inscriptions on the sides of the plinth and on one side of the base of the shaft. The latter is in a projecting panel. The names of the fallen are inscribed on the other sides of the plinth.’
The War Memorials Trust states ‘the war memorial at Harston, erected in 1920, is an important reminder of nationally and internationally significant events which had a tragic impact on local communities. The war memorial is an architecturally distinct and fitting tribute to the fallen of two world wars.’
It is understood that further names are to be added to the memorial.