Harston has had a church in roughly the same position as today’s church since at least the 10th century so it is likely that there have been burials in the area of the graveyard since then. The earliest date for which there is reliable evidence is February 1599 when Matthew Robinson, described in the parish records as a ‘travellere, ‘ was buried.
The earliest death date on a gravestone is 25 June 1729 for Alin Samuell.
By the early 1920s, it was becoming increasingly clear that the graveyard was reaching capacity and at a meeting of the Parish Council on 27 Feb 1925 it was recognised that the churchyard was overcrowded. Ultimately a new burial ground was established at Button End Burial Ground
After this time, interments in the churchyard were limited to existing family plots or within existing graves
The plan of the churchyard graves was originally produced in 1982 by Alan Bullwinkle of the Cambridge Family History Society but additions and amendments have been made by us in April 2021.