Pinecroft (replacing Violet Cottage)

John Roadley

Violet Cottage date unknown
Violet Cottage around 1870s
Baggot Hall sale of Violet Cottage 1932
2015. Pinecroft
Pinecroft extension in progress Oct 2015
Pinecroft, Button End newest extension to left Dec 2019

Early house and occupants

We do not have a date for the construction of Violet Cottage. We know Bert Northrop was born here so it was built by the 1870s. It was sold in 1932 for £130 as part of the sale of the Hays family estate. John Northrop was the tenant as the time.

John Collins, bought the cottage and we know he lived there with his wife Julia in 1943 as their 60th Wedding anniversary was in the papers. John died in 1946 and his wife had moved out of Violet Cottage before her death in 1949. In 1969 a derelict part of the building was demolished and rebuilt to provide a pantry, study and garage. In the 1970s Colin Pettit said he and Graham Flack would leave their motorbikes at Violet Cottage where their friend Kelvin Newton lived. Kelvin’s stepfather Peter Owen was a photographer.

Demolition and rebuild

In 1992 planning permission was granted to demolish the cottage and replace it with a four-bedroom  house for Mr Gardiner.

Previously Violet Cottage was much nearer the road, as shown on 1971 O.S. map than Pinecroft, its replacement. Pinecroft is two storey, detached house including dormer roof. It is brick & render. Construction on an extension above and to the rear of the garage was started in 2015 and completed in 2016.

This page was added on 08/10/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.