137 High Street
Peter Griffin & Hilary Roadley
Until 1901 the plot of 137 would have been arable farmland. After 1901 detached houses were built in roughly 1 acre plots on the land on the west side of High Street north of Brickfield Lane (Hill Top Farm)- see 1959 OS map. Many of the gardens of these properties had orchards and grew vegetables. No 137 may have had a few fruit trees in the long front garden.
At some point No 137 gained more land, roughly 2-3 acres (blue on 1957 map), forming a ‘T’ shape behind their neighbours’ gardens – see google map.
Heydon Cottage (the first property on this plot), demolished in 1995, was the home of Harry & Ada Wilson. They sold part of the plot of No 137, for the plot of No 139 High Street, to their daughter and her husband, who built No. 139 in 1960 on land next door (to the north & shown in pink on 1957 map).
No. 135 must also have been built at the time of the demolition as its garage shows on the left of the demolition photograph.