70 High Street, the Old Police House

John Roadley

The village policeman was once housed in the now demolished 103 High Street and, as the following Cambridge newspaper articles show, there was a pressing need for a policehouse.

‘As from July 1st all policemen will live rent free, the Chief Constable reported. The need for a police house at Harston was very urgent because the owner of the house which the policeman now occupied had been waiting until the officer moved before he could get married’                   6 July 1925

‘Mr T Musgrave Francis said they had been in search of a site at Harston for the provision of a policeman’s house for a long time and had not been able to get one. Eventually they were offered one outside the village and, whilst the price was high, they felt they must accept it. Now, however, Mr Arthur Hurrell had offered the Chief Constable a most suitable site as a gift to the county. They could not have a better site and he moved a vote of thanks’                                                       19 October 1925

In October 1955 planning permission was given to build a police office and garage and a new driveway off the main road with the original driveway being closed (subsequently re-opened)

This page was added on 14/11/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone