No 9 Church Street formerly No 2 Stag Villas
The land upon which Nos 7 & 9 Church Street stand was part of William Long’s ‘Harston Estate’ which was auctioned off in 1893 after his death. The sales document stated ‘ Freehold property comprising pasture field of building or accommodation land containing 1 acre, 0roods & 36 poles (more or less). With extensive frontage to the Haslingfield Road in the occupation Mr J Ashby, a yearly tenant at £4 per annum. Bounded on the North East by the Haslingfield Road, on the South East by Lot 11( now Dormer Cottage), on the South West by property of Mr Northfield and on the North West by property of Mr Ives’.
The plot was purchased by Mr C J Ives for £130 and sold to William George Jude, builder of Haslingfield in 1902 when the land, one acre, 36 perches, was worked by Mark Runham, a market gardener who lived in Lilac Cottage on the opposite side of the road.
The semi-detached villas were built in 1904. apparently so named because when being built a stag was seen close by. It was shot and for many years the head was mounted in the living room.
We do not know the earliest occupiers but in the 1911 Census the White family are the occupants – John William, a railway signalman, his wife Mary, daughter Ellen age 36 an assistant school teacher and daughter Ada, age 33 a dressmaker.
The house came up for auction in 1947 following the death of Ada and was purchased by Eric Waldock Jacklin, a motor mechanic. He lived there with his parents Joseph (died 1965) and Fanny (died 1960) until his death in 1993. All three are buried in the Button End cemetery.
The land upon which the Church Street Doctors’ Surgery is built used to be part of this plot until Mr Jacklin sold it