Sunbourn, Newton Hill
The land on the top of Newon hill on which Sunbourn stands is labelled on the1799 Inclosure map as ‘Allotment to E Lilley the Back n field exchanged to R. Godfrey for land in Hauxton 0 acres, 3 roods, 13 perches.’
In 1922 George Warren appeared to own the land, although Mrs E.F. Parker was mentioned on the conveyance.
The land was acquired in 1924 by Miss Signe Lavén, a Swedish physio who was very friendly with the Greene family of Harston House, whom she visited from Cambridge frequently. In 1944/45 she wrote a history of the acquisition of the land, the building of Sunbourn and the 1930s additions. This can be found in the pdf below.
The Lawrance blacksmiths did much repair work for Miss Laven but also produced the sun design front gates.
The building remained the same until 1988 when some internal changes were made and externally an ‘en suite’ garage was built, the kitchen and the utility room extended outwards and part of the front porch enclosed.
In the late 1920s Miss Lavén treated a young American student at Newnham College, Ethel John Lindgren who came from a Swedish-American family. The mutual interest in Sweden led to the development of a friendship. Coming to live in England in early 1930s to continue her research studies at Cambridge, Ethel Lindgren & her son needed a home and Miss Lavén suggested she share living at Sunbourn.
During WW2 Sunbourn was let out to a Mr Ripper, who founded Pest Control at Hauxton while Miss Laven & Ethel lindgren helped with the war effort elsewhere. Then in 1946 the property was transferred from Miss Laven to Dr EJ Lindgren-Utsi.
Miss Laven died in 1955 and Dr Ethel Lindgren in 1988 when Sunbour went into the names of John Lindgrenf and Vincent Utsi. John and his wife Judy moved to Sunbourn and are still there in 2023.